Welcome to Sew STEM!
I am a science teacher that has been sewing since I was a young child. I left my full-time job as a classroom teacher to pursue multiple business interests. I have a farm with an Airbnb Farm Stay, I teach part-time at a university, I design quilt and sewing patterns, and I sell my crafts at art and quilt shows.
My Sew STEM pattern line contains many science-themed patterns. I am fascinated by science. technology, engineering, and math. My favorites are space, geology, and freshwater. I have always been interested in inspiring the next generation to pursue a STEM career and I am hoping that I can inspire a few students through my patterns and artwork; especially girls!
But, not all of my patterns are about science because I have a few too many hobbies and never enough time. Most of my quilt patterns involve piecing but I do a lot of raw-edge applique as well. I love paper piecing, so expect patterns in the future that involve this technique. I also have toy and doll clothes patterns.
This is a quilt that is a topographic map of Crater Lake National Park. The orange is the lowest elevation of land, the brown is higher and the highest land is yellow. Crater Lake in the center is a caldera, which is a collapsed volcano that occurs after a volcano ejects its molten core and the top of the volcano collapses into the hole. The dark blue is the deepest part of the lake and the light blue is the shallowest. But, do you notice the island on the left side of the lake. That is a cone that has pushed up from the center of the volcano and formed an island. Even cooler, the light blue circle in the lake, that looks like Pac-Man's eye, is an underwater cone that hasn't yet broke the surface. I find this fascinating, I hope you do too.
If your quilt guild or quilt show has room, I would love to come and give a presentation with my geologic art quilts. I have lots of them and am making more.
I have 12 patterns currently released, I am brand new and I will have many more released soon. I hope to hear from all of you!
Wholesale Customers - Contact me directly to set up an account.
Diane Podgornik 218-393-6382
Retail Customers - Visit the online store that I share with my sister.
Trunk Shows and Workshop Fees
***NEW***Trunk Shows and Workshops can be presented virtually! We can get through this together!
Current Available Workshops
- Classes available for any of my Sew STEM Patterns
- Create a pattern to sew a Topographic or Lake Bathymetry Wall Hanging Quilt
- Sew a Topographic or Lake Bathymetry Wall Hanging Quilt from a pre-cut kit (I can prepare a kit for your geographic location).
- Sew a Quilt from a photograph using raw-edge applique
- Mystery Quilt, Option 1- Students will be asked to purchase a pre-cut kit that includes all pieces for a lap-sized quilt top and the pattern instructions will be distributed at class
- Mystery Quilt, Option 2 - Students or shop owners will be given a list of fabric requirements and cutting directions before class begins and each student will arrive with their fabric cut and ready to piece for a lap-sized quilt.
- Mystery Quilt, Option 3 - Students will be asked to purchase a pre-cut kit that includes all pieces for a raw-edge applique wall hanging.
Current Available Trunk Show
Quilts and sewing projects from any of the available Sew STEM patterns.
The fee is $400 per day for a 6-hour class with up to 24 students; additional students are welcome provided there is ample workspace with an additional fee of $10/student. Students provide their own supplies or purchase supplies from a sponsoring quilt shop or from Sew STEM.
Trunk Show Fee
The fee is $250 for a one-hour presentation. Trunk shows include actual quilts and additional time is available for questions and sharing at the conclusion of the one-hour presentation.
Discount! $50 trunk show fee if combined with a workshop.
Travel and Expenses
I will work with you to determine the most economical event. I will drive or fly as determined by ticket prices. The following expenses are to be reimbursed at the conclusion of the event:
- Full round-trip airfare of round-trip mileage at the current federal rate, parking fees and cab or shuttle fare, baggage fee for one bag
- Full room and board expenses, non-smoking hotel room required
- Shipping fees for trunk show quilts, if necessary
Please contact me directly to set up any Trunk Shows or Workshops
Diane Podgornik 218-393-6382